Carl and I weren’t exactly excited about the front door in the new house (how long do I keep referring to our home as the new house?). The color was blah (soft black), the stained glass feature seemed out of sync with the rest of the house, and when I looked at it, I grimaced.
A few weeks ago, we happened to be in our local Ace Hardware store and stumbled upon the paint section. After looking at reds that were too bright, too orangey, too pink, too… red, I found Benjamin Moore’s Heritage Red and was obsessed. The red is just right. Heritage Red is part of the brand’s Historic Color Collection ‘inspired by America’s historic landmarks.’
We got a small, 29 fl. oz (about a quart) can of Benjamin Moore Heritage Red in low lustre finish. After cleaning the door, Carl painted about four coats of paint. The 29 fl. oz can was more than enough for the door – we have a lot left over. With the cost of a quart of paint and a new paintbrush, the total was $30. Not bad at all for a simple weekend project. I’m really digging our new front door!
HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDES
This year, I am determined not to wait until the last minute to get holiday gifts. BUT… we just moved into this house at the end of September, I still don’t know where most of our things are located, and I am completely overwhelmed by all the unpacked boxes that litter the inside AND outside of our home. Excuses are leading me down a path of procrastination. Also, this undersized holiday wreath may be all the energy I can muster for decorations this year. How about you?
I love advent calendars. I look forward to opening a little present every day. I mean, who doesn’t? Here are my picks for advent calendars: kids, luxury, and food/wine.
Scroll, click + shop kids advent calendars below!
Scroll, click + shop luxury advent calendars below!
Scroll, click + shop food/drink advent calendars below!
- Fresh Color + Care Hydrating Lip Set: this set makes lips so soft. Bye, chapped lips.
- Stocking Stuffers for Creative Kids: a great stocking stuffer for kids who like to create with their hands.
- Tiled Margot Monogram Mug: a pretty addition to someone’s mug collection.
- Whittard of Chelsea Hot Chocolate Stacking Tins: who doesn’t like hot chocolate? Seriously.
- BDG Fisherman Beanie: keep your loved ones’ noggins warm.
- Bombas Sesame Street Calf Sock Set: these socks bring me back to my childhood. Cute + super nostalgic.
- Reisefelds NYC DIY Candle Kit: there’s something really satisfying too making your own candle.
- MiiR 32-Oz Wide Mouth Water Bottle: I’m always on the look out for large and pretty water bottles and these ones check the boxes.
- William Sonoma Holiday Candy Stocking: I love this stocking set that have Williams Sonoma top selling candy/chocolates.
Scroll, click + shop stocking stuffers below!
- Etsy Leather & Wood Backgammon: I haven’t played backgammon since I was a kid, but I’m ready to re-learn on this. board
2. Pottery Barn Handcrafted Marble Checkers: monochrome gets me every time.
3. Neiman Marcus Bey-Berk Wooden Multi-Game Set: never be at a loss when it’s game time.
4. Nordstrom Shinola Monopoly Detroit Edition: what beautiful upgrade to the classic game.
5. Anthropologie Scrabble Board Game: hands down, my favorite board game and I cannot tell you how obsessed I am with this Scrabble board.
6. Pottery Barn Wooden Clue Board Game: I suggest the crime was committed by Miss Scarlet, in the library, with a candlestick!
7. CB2 Acrylic Four in a Row: the acrylic stopper and marbleized pieces will make people do a double take.
8. Harrods Tumbling Blocks Game: leave these out on table for decor + play.
9. Etsy Chess Set: so, so pretty sitting on an accent or coffee table.
Scroll, click + shop luxury board games below!
- William Sonoma Italian Pantry Gift Crate: give me all the cheese + pasta.
2. Vitruvi Porcelain Essential Oil Diffuser: experience aromatherapy in style.
3. Julia Child Mastering the Art of French Cooking: maybe I’ll finally do the whole Julia & Julia thing.
4. Five Two by 52 Pack of 5 Water Resistant Teak Spatulas: teak + spatulas? Count me in.
5. CB2 Curve Ball Match Striker: find me someone who can’t stop looking at this.
6. Crate & Barrel Handmade German Nutcrackers: these handsome fellas would look so good as part of a holiday tablescape.
7. The Sill Evergreen Wreath: a wonderful present to get them ready for the holidays.
8. Les Madeleines Kouign Aman Gift Box of 12: a total no-brainer – just get these delicious treats already.
9. Ruffoni Historia Hammered Copper Stock Pot with Olive Knob: this stock pot is probably one of the most beautiful pots I’ve ever seen
Scroll, click + shop hostess gifts below!
- Anthropologie Floral Maxi Dress I love seeing a dress that you can wear way past the holidays.
2. Asos Puff Sleeve Twist I cannot take my eyes off this dress.
3. Alice + Olivia Tiered Dress How can you not think of snow when looking at this dress?
4. Nordstrom Rainbow Sequin Dress Sparkly is always good, right?
5. Neiman Marcus Belted Jacquard Shirtdress I’ve always imagined myself waking up early on Christmas morning, getting all the food cooked without stress, and all while wearing a beautiful evening gown that has pockets.
6. ASOS Design High Neck Embellished Mini Dress The art deco design got me on this one.
7. Reformation Jasen Dress Always yes to a tie strap dress.
8. Nordstrom Aphrodite Long Sleeve Puff Shoulder Dress This flowery + inky dress is a beautiful surprise during the holidays.
9. Anthropologie Coloblocked Bow-Tie Maxi Dress The colorblocking here is a total chef’s kiss, the bow is an added bonus ❤️
Scroll, click + shop holiday outfits below!
- Ooni Fyra Pizza Oven I have been slightly obsessed over this pizza oven since it came out. Cook a pizza at home in 1 minute? Count me in.
2. Frantoio Muraglia Extra Virgin Olive Oil Tasting Box Pretty bottles + tasty olive oil is a big hit.
3. Mason Cash Mixing Bowls These bowls will make any kitchen a little brighter.
4. KitchenAid Limited Edition Light and Shadow Mixer This mixer will remain at the top of my personal holiday list until someone gets it for me.
5. Staub Cast Iron 3.75qt French Oven Rooster Lid My favorite thing about the Staub cookware besides the amazing quality are all the playful lids and knobs.
6. Fellow Stagg Pourover Kettle in Copper So functional and beautiful.
7. Foiled Recipe Journal There’s something very comforting about seeing a handwritten recipe.
8. French Rolling Pin When I go to someone’s house and I see multiple rolling pins, it warms my heart.
9. Meyer Lemon Tree Fruit trees always make me smile.
Scroll, click + shop gifts for the cook below!
- Wise Owl Book Ends Little owls to guard precious books.
2. Custom Book Embosser I am a total sucker for book embossers.
3. Ultimate Library Lover Gift Set I’ve been giving Fly Paper Product for years. They always put a smile on the recipient’s face.
4. Penguin Clothbound Classics Set SWOON. Just swoon.
5. Bliss Fuzzy Throw When you’re curled up with a book, a blanket makes the perfect partner.
6. Ember Mug 2 A book + coffee or tea = perfection.
7. Kindle Oasis When the book reader in your life has no more room for physical books.
8. 100 Books Bucket List Poster How many of these books have you read?
9. Literary Insults Chart Literary zingers are the best.
Scroll, click + shop gifts for the cook below!
- Yoto Player + 2 Disney Audio Card Great for kids under 12!
2. Gathre Tunnel All ages fun.
3. Polaroid Originals Camera Someone please give me one of these cameras.
4. L.L. Bean Sled Sled in style.
5. Juniper Books Harry Potter Book Set Always love Juniper Books sets
6. Dinosaur Duvet and Pillowcase Set Adorable.
7. Original PlasmaCar We used to have one of these and it was really hard not to get on it myself.
8. Build Your Own Fort Kit An architectural delight.
9. Play Kitchen Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.
Scroll, click + shop gifts for kids below!
- PMD Facial Cleansing Device The best thing I’ve ever purchased for my face. 30% off right now!
2. SolaWave Advanced Skincare Wand with Red Light Therapy Something that’s been on my list to buy. Reduce the appearance of wrinkles – check. De-puff and energize skin – check and check. Currently on sale – $35 off!
3. Aira Facial Steamer I’m raising my hand for total skin hydration.
4. Skin Gym High Freuency Wand Zap those zits!
5. Cryo Dual Roller Use the power of cold to de-puff.
6. BeautyFridge If I had a bigger bathroom, I’d have on of these to keep all my face products in.
7. Opte Precision Skincare System I’ve been so curious about this for awhile and hoping someone gets it for you (and for me).
8. Lancer Skincare Microdermabrasion Device Yes to sloughing off dead skin cells.
9. DRx SpectraLite Faceware Pro Anti-aging device for the win.
Scroll, click + shop skincare gifts below!
- Loeffler Randall Penny Knotted Lame Sandal Dreamy and easy to walk in.
2. Badgley Mischka Cher Pumps This blue makes me happy.
3. Badgley Mischka Babette Beaded Ballerina Flats Stop being so pretty!
4. Bruno Magli Men’s Angiolini Ankle Boots Classic.
5. Nike Blazer Low ’77 Suede Sneakers I could wear these shoes for every occasion.
6. Alden for J. Crew Lug Sole Penny Loafer Suede? Yep.
7. Calvert Boots So cute.
8. Classic Velvet Mary Janes Velvet really elevates these shoes.
9. Glitterr Mary Jane Flats Can’t ever go wrong with glitter.
Scroll, click + shop holiday shoes below!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. When you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, I receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you).